If you’re a woman who is a Steampunk fan, the chances are that you have come across images of Victorian skirts in your search for your next costume. If you are looking to perhaps give the look a go, then you’re in the right place. This article will tell you all that you need to know about the Victorian skirt, and will show you some of the best Victorian skirts available online.
lthough we often consider women’s fashion in the Victorian era to be primarily dresses, a lot of the time it was actually a skirt with a separate bodice. In the 1850s’, the hourglass figure became even more sought after, and this is when the crinoline skirt was introduced. The heavy crinoline skirt was a heavy fabric that was woven from horse hair and relatively expensive.
Caged crinolines are also known as hoop skirts and were a lightweight alternative to the heavy crinolines, they are often the skirts we think of when talking about Victorian skirts. They were made from sprung steel rings that were flexible and attached from fabric tape. The look was worn by all the classes, from factory workers, to ‘ladys’. The price depended on the number of hoops, with higher priced hoop skirts having around twenty to forty hoops, and lower priced hoop skirts having around twelve. The skirts originally reached the floor when they were first released, but over time the hemline became more raised.
Bustle skirts were also a popular piece of clothing during the Victorian era, its purpose was to add fullness to the back of a woman’s dress. A bustle sat underneath the skirt and had a look that lifted the back of the skirt up, looking like you had a large bum.
A Victorian high low skirt is a skirt that often features layered ruffles that are longer at the back and shorter at the front, showing the woman’s legs and being more popular amongst burlesque dancers.
The type of skirt worn depended on the occasion. For example, hunting skirts were ankle-length, whereas skirts on top of a crinoline tended to be floor length. Nowadays of course, Victorian skirts are perfect for your next Steampunk convention, so let’s take a look at some of the best Victorian skirts available online.
- Perfect for Steampunk, Goth, Cyberpunk, Pirate Outfit
- Soft, Durable Rayon Fabric
- Four Tiers of Ruffles
- Adjustable Length in Front, Elasticized Waist
- Refer to Size Chart on Left Side
This high low skirt comes in a beautiful chocolate brown colour that will be perfect for a Steampunk air pirate or even as part of a wild west Steampunk outfit. The skirt features layered ruffles and will look great paired with some boots.
- Women 50s Retro Petticoat Underskirt Vintage Party A-line Tutu Skirt Crinoline Half Slips
- Comfortable Material:High low skirt Adopt high quality Chiffon,Waistline and top part is well elastic,Comfortable and keeps you feel cool to the touch.
- Ruffles Design: The design of the fold, personality is not messy.Single skater skirt Short front and rear Long, your legs look taller and thinner.
- Package Contents:1*Vintage Dress
- This Victoria Steampunk skirts are perfect match with steampunk corsets and accessories; Suitable for steampunk-themed party, gothic costume, christmas, cyberpunk or pirate outfit
This is a slightly more unusual high low skirt with a floor length design. Although having layered ruffles that hang from the tight and buttoned waist, in a way that replicates the high low style – there is also a floral lace skirt underneath that ensures your legs are never fully exposed. It is a beautiful skirt that will do perfectly for a gothic Steampunk look.
- Women's Steampunk Vintage Retro Skirt Gothic A-Line Pencil Skirts Party Club Pleated Skirt
- Skirt for Women is a great collocation for tops and shoes. It is one of the essential clothes in your closet and the best choice for spring and autumn.
- Made of high quality material, so it is very soft and comfortable to wear. The design of this skirt is fashionable and sexy, so it can show your charming and good figure.
- Women's skirt is suitable to wear in many occasions, like daily life, dating, shopping, vacation, party, club and so on. Hope to give you an excellent wearing experience.
- Please check the size chart (Not the Amazon size chart ) on the left before buying. If you have any problem about our product, please contact us in any time and we will reply you within 24H for solution.
Although this skirt is not entirely Victorian in design, it definitely features Victorian elements. The beautiful plum purple colour was a popular colour in the fashion world during the Victorian period, but also the pattern is undeniably as elegant as a pattern seen on Victorian clothing. The skirt is a pencil skirt that has lacing going down the left hand side and half way down is a layered protruding ruffle that has a mermaid tail style.
- Size: please refer to our size chart in the third image, it's true to the size chart. (We suggest order a size down if you are petite).
- Asymmetric skirt with multi layer of ruffles,elastic closure,adjustable corset ribbon lacings to the front.It can be worn 3 ways: tied left, tied right, or both tied. High low skirt Adopt high quality Chiffon ,Comfortable and keeps you feel cool to the touch.
- The skirt can be used for so many different costumes- vampire, pirate, Victorian, Shakespeare, hippie, romantic, western.
- Gothic steam punk Frida show girl style. Perfect for vintage circus-themed event,Carnival,Victorian steampunk vampire costume,theme wedding,pirate Halloween costume,medieval costume as a steampunk fairy.Wear for costume or to wear casually as a everyday punk skirt.
- Multi layer of ruffles high low skirt perfect for steampunk goth cyberpunk pirate outfit.
This is another high low skirt that features ruffled layers in a beautiful style fit for a range of outfits, including that of a burlesque dancer. The black colour also allows for wearing of it with gothic Steampunk items of clothing.
- New Womens Fitted Skirt By Punk Rave
- Black, 65% Cotton 30% Polyamide 5% Spandex
- Perfect Attire For Goths And Steampunks
- Adjustable Corset Lacing
- Genuine Punk Rave Merchandise
This is also a high low skirt that has a cinched waist that ties at the back. The skirt has an elegant Victorian floral pattern all over the black material, making it perfect for a gothic Steampunk outfit.
- Soft imitation suede material, comfortable to wear. Garment Care: Hand washable in Cold Water.
- Ruffles and elastic high- waist design. Front Double-breasted Decor, Side Invisible Zipper Closure.
- Back lace-up helps to fix waist part whether too tight or too loose. Please choose the size by our size table offered in the picture.
- Perfect for Gothic Victorian Costume, Renaissance Costume, SCA , LARP. Halloween Cosplay Costume Skirt, Fancy Dress, Hippie Gypsy Skirt.
- Tips of the side zipper closure: Hold the top of the zipper with one hand, then the other hand holds the zipper head and slowly pulls it from bottom to top. It is easier to pull up the zipper if you can keep inhaling and tighening your belly during the process.
This high waisted skirt that cinches at the waist is beautiful and elegant. It is called a walking skirt as it is ankle length, rather than floor length and the waist ties at the back. It looks incredibly true to the Victorian style and will look great at your next Steampunk convention.
- 100% cotton with half-lining.Victorian style maxi skirt with ruffled bottom and adjustable ruched tie strings on the front.
- Built with high quality elastic waist and inner pockets at both side.
- Super flare maxi skirt in classic Victorian cutting A line style. Mopping floor length with big hem.
- Comfort to wear, Great for daily casual, wear to work , costume dance party and other occasion
- Will fit size 1X - 2X or 18W - 20W or UK/AU 20 Waist : Unstretch: 30" (76cm) - stretched: 52" (132cm)
This skirt is fairly simple in style, it is a Victorian flare skirt that is floor length and features some ruffles in the beautiful purple plum colour that the Victorian era loved so much. It is floor length and may look good with a crinoline underneath.
- Steampunk Bustle Skirt; Steampunk Accessories for women; Gothic Victorian Skirt ; 1800s Costumes for Women; Edwardian Renaissance Clothing
- Features: Steampunk High Low Skirt; Well elastic waistline; Ruffled hemline; 3 layers Gothic Victorian Skirt; Adjustable drawstrings in back to create as much ruffle or bustle as you like
- Occasion: Perfect Match with Steampunk Corsets and Accessories; Suitable for Steampunk-themed Party, Gothic Costume, Cyberpunk or Pirate Outfit, Renaissance Festival.
- Garment Care: Hand Wash Cold / No Blench / Lay Flat Dry
- Notice: Please refer to our size chart picture before order, thanks in advance
The design on this skirt is unusual, being sort of grey pinstriped. It is layered and thick with ruffles and a high low design that still keeps your legs covered. It is elegant and perhaps looks more relative to that of a lower class Victorian woman, such as that of a maid.
If you enjoyed this article you might also like to read about Victorian Steampunk Dress.