Without a doubt, the most popular steampunk accessory has got to be the pocket watch. This is what any steampunk fan needs to complete the look. Traditionally, in the industrial era, pocket watches would have been worn by locomotive operators to ensure trains arrived at their specific stops on time. Other, higher class members of society would have used pocket watches to simply tell the time during their daily lives. Pocket watches are seen as having a Neo-Victorian feel as well as a unique way of feeling the power of the past, present and more retro-style future. I hope that you enjoy today’s article on how to wear a pocket watch.
How to Wear a Pocket Watch
There are a few ways in which a pocket watch can be worn. In fact, there are 3 different types of chains; the Albert T Bar, the Belt Bar and the Bolt Ring. Each of these is designed to fit onto a different piece of clothing. One place where someone may choose to wear a pocket watch may be at a wedding.
Wearing a Pocket Watch with a Waistcoat
Traditionally, you would use the Albert T bar chain to attach the pocket watch to a waistcoat. You would want to feed the chain through the buttonhole of your waistcoat and then place the pocket watch into your pocket leaving the chain showing as a decorative piece.
Wearing a Pocket Watch with a 3 Piece Suit
Furthermore, you may choose to wear a pocket watch with a full three-piece suit or perhaps a two-piece without a waistcoat. In order to do this, you would want to attach the pocket watch to your suit jacket. Like the waistcoat, you could feed the chain through the jackets buttonhole and slip the pocket watch into your jacket. However, if this is not possible, you could also use the Bolt Ring chain. This allows you to attach the chain onto the loop for your trouser belt and put the watch safely into the pocket of your trousers.
Wearing a Pocket Watch with Jeans or Steampunk Trousers
Lastly, you could wear a pocket watch with jeans or steampunk trousers. The suggestion is you wear darker colours such as black, grey or very dark blue as lighter, more casual colours may contrast with the pocket watch. Also, possibly choose a slim-fit pair of jeans or trousers as this will have a slightly better look. Just like the suit jacket, use the Bolt Ring chain to attach the pocket watch to your belt loop and then secure it in your trouser pocket. Bringing your jeans or trousers together with a shirt and/or blazer creates the perfect smart casual look.
Choosing the Perfect Pocket Watch
The next important step is choosing the perfect pocket watch. One particular pocket watch, this bronze pocket watch from I-MART, can be bought on Amazon for just over £5. This pocket watch is great for anyone not quite sure if they would wear one or not. To see the clock face, you simply press on the stem of the pocket watch. Similarly, to change the time, you removed the stem from the watch. However, it is important to note that this pocket watch comes with a necklace chain. In order to wear the pocket watch in the ways mentioned above, you will need to buy a chain separately.
- Material: Alloy + Glass.
- Fashionable and Push the stem to open the top, pull out the stem to adjust time.
- Very vintage look, lots details at the back of the watch.
- The watch's diameter is about 1.8".
Next, we have a vintage, skeleton pocket watch from BOSHIYA which can be purchased on Amazon for around £15. This pocket watch is brilliant for steampunk fans as it is decorated it with mechanical gears giving it an excellent steampunk theme. To change the time on this pocket watch, you simply pull the crown away from the base of the watch and turn it clockwise until you reach the desired time. This pocket watch runs on a wind-up mechanism. In order to do this, the crown gets turned for about 25 to 30 times and it is suggested you do this in the morning time.
- ❂ Coolest looking: The steampunk watch timepieces looks very awesome and cool using gear hollow cover which could look the self automatic gold gear movement
- ❂ Mechanical Timekeeper Dimension: Diameter:1.77 IN; Thickness:0.51 IN; Chain Length:14.17 IN; The watch sizes and chain length is very convenient to wear.
- ❂ Easy to Set Time: Please pull the crown away from the base of the watch and turn the crown clockwise until reaching the exact time, then press the crown back to its original position.
- ❂ User-friendly Wind-up Watches: Do NOT have battery. You just wind up the watch crown clockwise rotation about 25-30 turns. Advising wind up every morning.
- ❂ Gift Box Package: The vintage steampunk pocket watches is accompanied by a gift box. Best Present for Birthday, Wedding, Christmas, Holloween and Memorial Day gifts.
Finally, we have a stunning skeleton pocket watch from SIBOSUN which you can buy on Amazon for about £18. This pocket watch has a beautiful black, alloy design and the clockface has gold-coloured Roman numerals. This pocket watch is a true bargain as its incredible design makes it look a lot more expensive than it actually is. Like the previous item, this pocket watch also runs on a wind-up mechanism meaning no batteries are required.
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
- ★ "I Love You More Than I Can Say" ? - A Thoughful Pocket Watch Gift Will Help To "Let Your Love Speak" Directly - Beautiful Hollow Case Design Can See The Time Without Opening The Cover, Nicely Packing With Gift Box, Matching Chain, Clearing Cloth & Manual's Instuctions
- ★ Wanna Stand Out? This Is Your Pocket Watch - Perfect New Year & Valentines-day Gift For Anyone You Love or Yourself, Even Fits The Chef Or Nurse Who Is Not Allowed To Wear A Wrist Watch In The Work Place
- ★ Must-be Choice - All-match Fashion Design, A Conversation Piece, A Compliments Receiver - It Really Hits The Spot
- ★ Brttery Needless - Hand-wind Mechanical Movement, Take Batteries Away, Wind Up Before Every Usage, Tightening A Walk For 24 Hours