All Steampunk lovers need to have a gorgeous pair of Victorian gloves as part of their wardrobe. This article is going to showcase some of the best pairs of Victorian gloves that are available on the market.
Victorian gloves were a necessary part of any Victorian woman’s wardrobe. Gloves were not only popular amongst those showing off their wealth in the upper classes, in covering hands, you covered whether somebody’s hands were rough and worn from working. Meaning that the lower classes liked to wear gloves in order to ‘blend in’ so to speak. Gloves were not only popular amongst Victorian women, men also liked to wear gloves and show off their class. Something that a lot of people don’t know, is that the colour of gloves had meaning. Gloves that were either white or light in colour, tended to be the most elegant and were worn in the evening or during the day for special occasions, although not always. It was also common to match your gloves to your outfit.
When wearing a dress, women’s gloves had to show no skin between the dress sleeve and the glove, meaning that the glove often had to extend the whole way up the arm. The only exception to this rule was with a ball gown, however, the gloves still had to be exceptionally long. It is also a known fact that the only time a woman could remove her gloves was if she was eating, or at the toilet.
During the summer it was recommended to wear breathable gloves, made from materials such as mesh or fine lace.
For men, they were not allowed to offer a woman their hand if they still had their gloves on, they would have to remove it and then offer their hand.
There are a whole range of rules and a bunch of interesting history that surrounds the wearing of gloves in the Victorian period, but let’s get onto this era.
When might you wear Victorian gloves?
Victorian styled gloves are a beautiful accessory that can be worn on a range of occasions, including Steampunk conventions, fancy dress, or even as part of your everyday wardrobe.
They are popular amongst movie characters such as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Elizabeth in Pride & Prejudice, the sisters in Little Women, and even Elsa in Frozen wears gloves. As well as many many more on screen characters wearing Victorian styled gloves. So if that has given you some inspiration, let’s get onto some of the nicest Victorian gloves available online.
- Very pretty fine net floral lace glove
- Lovely frill detail on fingers
- Will fit medium to large ladies hands and medium mens hands
You may be wondering, why fingerless? The lower classes wore fingerless gloves a lot in order to make working much easier. These short gloves have a white netting material with a beautiful floral pattern and a lace look. These will look great as part of your wardrobe.
- Short women's gloves made out of white lace - not only for carnival, but also for gothic festivals and victorian Cosplay. Length: 8.5 inches. Colour: black Material: 100% Polyester.
- brand: dressmeup
- New with label
- 90% polyacrylic, 10% spandex
Similar to the gloves above, these Victorian gloves are made of a white lace material and they have a gorgeous floral pattern. They are short and will match a variety of outfits.
- 80's Black Lace Fingerless Ladies Gloves
- Approx.14.5cm at longest point Polyester / Elastane
- Hand wash gently Regular Fit
- Long Sleeve Ideal for fancy dress, hen nights, halloween
- One pair of BFD black lace fingerless gloves for women, one size fits all
Another pair of fingerless gloves, these ones are short and made of a black lace material with an elegant floral pattern that will look perfect with a gothic dress or outfit.
- ★ Ladies Short Lace Victorian Gloves (Fingerless) Black for Edwardian Fancy Dress
- ★ Made from soft Lace fabric
- ★ Length: 23cm, one size fits most adults
- ★ 1x Pair of Gloves Only
- ★ Perfect for Student Nights and Party's! -- Great Party Accessory Set for your next Theme Event and Fun Night Out !!
These are also fingerless and black, with a mesh sort of lace material with an elegant floral pattern and a band of lace around the wrist.
- Ladies Lace Victorian Madonna Gloves 18th Century Dickensian Fancy Dress Cosplay Black
- Gloves only (pair)
- Brand New
These are a pair of black gloves with a lace material and a floral pattern. They are short in length and will suit a gothic aesthetic, or a black Steampunk outfit.
- Prom Party Pageant Dance Gloves: measures approximately 20.5 or 21.6 inches from fingertip to end of glove. One size fits most because of the high quality a bit stretchy satin fabric.
- Classic Long Opera Gloves: roaring 20s Great Gatsby satin gloves, vintage style, smooth and comfortable.
- Dance Gloves for Women: satin gloves are the perfect accessories which go well with the flapper costume dresses.
- Can be used in wedding, engagement, great gatsby themed party, flapper costume party, prom, dance, ball, evening party and other special occasions.
- BABEYOND IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK IN US PATENT AND TRADEMARK OFFICE.
These black satin gloves go just past the elbows and will look great for cosplaying Holly from Breakfast at Tiffany’s or for wearing at your next Steampunk convention.
- Rock Punk Street MotorcycleGloves
- Gears, Skull Bird
- Magic Tape Closure
- PU Leather
- One size fits most
These are more a rider style of Victoria gloves and match the Steampunk aesthetic perfectly. They are fingerless and black leather with brass and silver gears sticking on the backs of them. They are perfect for your next Steampunk convention.
These black gloves extend just past the wrists and feature a sort of mesh-look material with a floral pattern on it and a single bow on the wrist. The band around the wrists are see-through with a floral outline at the ends. The palms of the gloves are made of a gripped material that also has a touch sensitive finger to make it easy for typing on your phone.
- Size: The gloves is approximately 14.56’’/36.98cm, reach to your elbow. Material: High quality stretchy stain fabric.
- The lace up gloves are adjustable according to the size of your arm. Fingerless: It is convenient for you to touch the phone screen or take something.
- The long gloves for female. Good accessories to match with evening dress, costume dress and other formal dresses.
- For taking part in Gatsby themed party, wedding, evening party, flapper costume party, formal occasions, etc.
- There are five options for you. Black, lace black, purple, red and rose red.
These are perfect for a gothic Steampunk outfit. They are black fingerless gloves that extend past the elbows and have a mesh material with a ribbon that ties all the way from the wrist to the elbow, tying the gloves together.