The annual Steampunk Festival in Lincoln is overflowing with culture and creativity. The Asylum Steampunk Festival in Lincoln is the longest running and biggest Steampunk Festival in the world. 2019 marked 11 years of the festival running. The festival started in 2009 with 432 guests attending, and it has been held every year since then, growing more popular each year. The 2017 festival claims to have had between 35,000 and 40,000 people attending per day.
When is the next Steampunk Festival Lincoln?
The festival was due to take place from the 28th August to the 31st August this year, sadly the event was cancelled due to Covid-19. However, the event is set to go ahead in 2021, at the moment. Here is all you need to know if you plan on attending.
The Steampunk Festival Lincoln
The Steampunk Festival in Lincoln is an experience that can be enjoyed by all, it is not solely for the enjoyment of the Steampunk community, although many of those taking part are a part of the community. The festival is essentially a celebration of creativity, fun, and individuality. If these are all things that you enjoy, then the Steampunk Festival in Lincoln will be a busy day out that will have you leaving happier and more imaginative than when you arrived.
The festival does not force anything, part of the reason for its popularity is due to the welcoming nature for everybody to come as they are. Even pets are welcomed, so you don’t have to leave your furry pooch at home, they can take part in the enjoyment too. Maybe they can even be a part of your costume…
Where does the Festival take Place
The Lincoln Steampunk Festival is one of the biggest Steampunk festivals in Europe. The Lincoln castle is situated in the centre of the festival, and offers a rustic backdrop that feels as though you have stepped into a time warp. There are many activities and events that are held over the weekend, such as the Steampunk Market on Castle Hill.
The market is a sight to see with individuality shining through in every corner. The friendly faces come hand in hand with the creative community who are happy to assist you with any questions or advice you may need. Perhaps you have spotted some styles while wandering around the festival that you reckon you could rock yourself, the Steampunk market is the perfect place for you to find your new style, or new inspiration for your next festival outfit.
What to wear for Asylum Festival
Perhaps you can get suited up for The Asylum costume competition. Of course many of the Steampunk community wear clothes rather than costumes, but events such as The Asylum costume competition really challenge goers to go the extra mile. The parade for the competition is the perfect place to get dressed up in your best outfit and to show it off to the supportive crowd. If you want to join the parade and be in with a chance of winning an award, don’t forget to fill in the application form.
The asylum’s most splendid promenade features groups, banners, and eye catching costumes that may be the inspiration you need for your next outfit. The Steampunk Campus at Bishop Grosseteste University is the primary section of the festival. It acts as a hub, with markets, exhibitions, entertainment, and food and drink. There is even a ‘quiet space’ for those who want some time away from the bustle of the festival. There will also be captivating talks and presentations given in this area.
The Illicit market is a wrist-banded area that allows people to market goods while role-playing their part in a Steampunk society. This is a fun feature that proves popular among guests due to the time limits and rules that fall on those taking part. If you love role-playing and you are a member of the Steampunk community, the odds are that you will love the Illicit market.
The festival even has its very own jetpack races, where contestants have to race 60m with a jetpack on their back to the finishing line. Other fun events include The Wacky Racers and Pararacers race in which contestants have to race 120m to the finishing line in their own home-made vehicles.
The Great Exhibition at Bishop Grosseteste University, features artwork from members of the Steampunk community and even hands out awards. As well as all of these events and exhibitions, the festival hosts plenty of live music, craft workshops, and even comedy. There is something for everyone at Steampunk Festival Lincoln.
Ideas for Outfits
If you are looking for a new outfit to wear to the festival, why not mix and match, or take inspiration from some of these:
- Slim Fit - Ivory Off-White - Detachable cravat tie neck
- Length 27 inches, 100% Polyester Material (Slight stretch)
- High ruffle neck, removable cravat, gathered 3/4 sleeves, Functional front plastic buttons
- Soft comfortable material - Cream Off-white colour - Regency period
This gothic white blouse has a cravat attached to it, making it perfect for if you want to rock the Steampunk pirate look. Pair this with a hat and goggles, some tight leather trousers, and cowboy style boots and you will have a killer outfit.
- Are you looking for the ideal accessory for your steampunk outfit? Then this women's hat from Widmann is just the thing for you
- It comes in black and is equipped with beautiful details such as small gears as well as springs and tulle
- Steampunk glasses with black band are used as a hat band. So equipped you will be an eye-catcher at every event
- Please note: do not wash items, do not bleach, do not tumble dry, do not iron, do not dry clean
- More beautiful costumes and accessories can be found in our brand shop. Click on the brand name Widmann below the product title
This hat and goggles will go perfectly with the blouse above. Although, it will spice up any outfit and really bring out your inner Steampunk.
- One size fits most, half face with elastic band
- The size for the cool mask is: 6.7*4.9*5.1 IN
- Made with high quality eco-friendly materials: ABS. Durable and tough
- Exceptional craftsmanship. Unique antique elements, with Vintage Steampunk inspired design
- Perfect for all kinds of masquerade events, ball, halloween party, events and so on
If you want something slightly different, look no further. This phantom of the opera party mask is perfect for if you are dressing up for the festival and it goes with a range of outfits.
- ★100% Brand New and High Quality.Size:8.4*1.2*11.6 in（L*W*H）.Length of waist strap :59in,Length of leg strap :19.6in.
- ★Material:PU Leather + Polyester lining, Durable material and workmanship to withstand daily wear & tear
- ★Multifunctional: Waist Bag, Cross-Body Bag, Shoulder Bag.Purse is small, but the function is very powerful. Flexible main storage compartment.
- ★Steampunk Style,Rocker/ Punk/ Classical/Punk Waist Bag Steampunk Bag,Waist Bags,Leg Thigh Holster Bag,Cyberpunk Waist Bags,Fanny Packs,Wallet, Purse Pouch,Belt Bag.
- ★Ideal for travel, work, school,hiking, camping, cycling and other outdoor activities.
A utility bag is always a great addition to your outfit, it can add that extra something when you’re not sure what is missing. It is also a great place to store your wallet and phone, or your ‘weapon’.
No outfit is complete without boots, these women’s thigh high boots will go beautifully with a variety of outfits while making you look badass.
If you are wondering how to get to the festival, the website provides all the information you will need: https://www.asylumsteampunk.co.uk/getting-here/
There are options for driving, train, park and ride, bus, flying, and even information about the Asylum shuttle bus that goes between the Venue from the Steampunk Campus, to the Lincoln Cathedral.
Some of the activities listed require wristbands to enter, please research before your visit.