Steampunk is a mixture of sci-fi/fantasy and Victorian fashion. Most steampunk cosplay is inspired by the steam power method used during the Victorian era – everything in the steampunk world is run on steam. It’s a lifestyle that might even prove difficult for a steampunk enthusiast to explain; it is easier to show than tell!
Steampunk is a kind of science fiction genre of the Victorian era. In this period, almost everything worked on steam power. Steampunk cosplay also demonstrates the transition during the industrial area, from steam to electricity. Hence, the goggles, engines, and gears decorating a typical steampunk outfit. Although goggles and gears and motors aren’t precisely what defines the steampunk cosplay, it makes it more remarkable. Steampunk costumes are also recognisable by an 18th Century fashion style.
What is Steampunk Cosplay?
For some steampunk enthusiasts like myself, steampunk cosplay is more than a mere fashion or costume display – it’s a way of life. There are some of us who wear it whether there’s a meetup or not! Some might go a little over-board with the dressing up, but that’s just the beauty of the steampunk universe – you can never overdress! Aside from our steampunk superheroes and characters, you rarely see two same outfits.
Where is Steampunk Cosplay most Popular?
It’s true that some cities are more steampunky than others. If I were to make a list of the most popular steampunk havens in the UK, London would come first closely followed by Lincoln, York and Whitby. Lincoln and Whitby are hosts of the annual steampunk festivals – Whitby steampunk weekend and Asylum steampunk festival.
For other non-UK cities, Atlanta (U.S). and Toronto (Canada) are big steampunk cities. Other popular steampunk cities include but not limited to Vancouver, Chicago, L.A. and New York. In these cities, steampunk ideas are unlimited and always impressive.
Steampunk Cosplay Genres
If you’ve seen pirate of the Caribbean, then you already have an almost perfect picture of the steampunk pirate. This outfit is also perfect for any costume party. A gothic ruffled shirt is an essential steampunk pirate piece…
- ♥Ture to size and high-quality
- ♥Premium: Well made of blends, lightweight, breathable and durable fabric. Superior workmanship, perfect tailoring create its delicate appearance. No sasons limits, suitable for all seasons(from spring to winter).
- ♥Elegant Design: Medieval gothic renaissance viking style, Lace up closure, V-neck, delicate collar and cuffs with ruffle, Solid. This beautiful shirt is sure to be a essential fashionable item for everyone. Be confident, go out with the top, get ready for lots of compliments!
- ♥Occasion: Suitable for casual, school, office, date, club and so on. As a cosplay costume also pretty for various thematic shows, stage performance, fancy dress, Halloween party, etc. Perfect to pairing with a steampunk leather jacket and medieval pants. Now only 3 colors--Black, White, Beige. Pls check the size chart before ordering.
- ♥Washing: Hand or Machine Wash with Cold Water / Do Not Bleach / Hang Or Line Dry. Note: When You Wash Colored Clothes, Please Wash Separately to Prevent the Discoloration.
You will also need a medieval pirate jacket. Most steampunk pirate jackets have a lapel collar, open front design and ankle length. They mostly come with two breast pockets, and waist pockets where the pirate can keep his little precious sea stones!
For pirate accessories remember to get your sword and eye-patch! You might even like a parrot for your shoulder (don’t go for a real one!).
- Silky Pirate Cap - The durag is made up of high quality polyester silks, which is soft, breathable and lightweight, very comfortable, friendly to skin and not fade off. Adjustable and stretchable, one size durags suitable for most head size
- Pirate Eye Patch - Black colored eye patch with detailed white skull & crossbones print design, assembled with a black elastic strap that wraps around your head. One size fits most
- Pirate Hoop Earring - Metal gold colored hoop earrings can clip onto any ear without pain, fits most teens and adults
- Pirate Necklace - Perfect pirate costume accessories, make your costume look like the real deal with these iconic pirate necklace
- Wide Usage - Great for role playing, Halloween parties, masquerade balls, school stage shows, costume party accessories, and as a perfect complement for your pirate costume...
As the name implies, a nautical steampunk genre describes the Victorian era maritime fashion. As a steampunk sailor or seaman, you aren’t to be caught wearing the pirate style – that would be a dishonour to the nautical steampunk brotherhood! Okay, enough of that! This attire looks similar to that of the steampunk pirate with little disparities like the infamous pirate eye patch among others.
This telescopic walking cane is a fantastic accessory for any nautical steampunk costume…
- Height:36" inches, Weight:500 Gram ## Costume walking stick with telescope & compass
- Color: Brown & Brass antique Finish, Material used:Wood & Brass
- Usage: Costume walking stick in which there is a secret telescope and compass - both are working to make this stick a unique piece of vintage art
- Solid Handmade # our items are handmade and are 100% authentic - too many artisans are involved in making a single piece of vintage art.
- Branding & packaging # Packed in corrugated boxes by Collectiblesbuy
The Victorian genre features lace trim wraps across the rims of lavish corsets. Yes – Skirts and corsets are combined to create a unique piece dress style, also sexy and very comfortable. The Victorian steampunk skirt is often a high-low design – a multi-layer skirt that gives a puffy structure that steals attention. Here’s a great Victorian steampunk costume:
This is a ubiquitous genre, recognisable for its ever-present aviation goggles. The steampunk aviator is iconic for its polyester cap that has a smooth inner cotton lining. The style of goggles demonstrates aviation fashion from several decades ago; brown faux-leather with gold metallic plastic with a foam eye padding. For a steampunk aviator, your attire cannot be complete without your scarf. An aviator scarf is usually a white satiny fabric with fringe details all over it.
A steampunk engineer is instantly recognisable by many gears and engine parts embellishing his outfit. This Victorian costume will have features that include long sleeves, decorative buttons, knee-length, double-breasted, stand collar, slim fit and two flat pockets. Finish off the look with a bow-tie and a nice pair of steampunk gear cufflinks!
- Luxurious Cufflinks: Each cufflink was delicately sculpted by hand. These Infinity Cufflinks are the perfect addition to any ensemble
- High grade display: This world is not only women can wear jewelry and use it to show beauty, men can also wear jewelry and use it to interpret the taste, high grade you deserve it
- Suitable Occasion: Perfect design is applicable to the office,meetings,weddings,anniversaries and more. Any dress can be matched out a sense of fashion
- Exquisite Gift Box: Each pair comes in a fashion box, the lid is reversible and can be closed tight and flat for gift giving or storage of cuff links.NOTE: The watch movement is only decoration, can not really work
- High degree design: The mechanism is delicate and durable, they are made by the power of science and imagination, they are more than a pair of cufflinks
For a steampunk fairy look consider incorporating steampunk fairy wings for kids and adults – brown metal-like filigree patterns that are made of plastic with an elastic shoulder strap. Steampunk fairy wings mostly look like metal, but they are usually made of plastic.
Here are some fantastic steampunk fairy wings that are available on Amazon. These plastic wings are hinged so that they can move freely. These wings come in brown featuring metal-like filgree patterns but are made of plastic with a comfortable elastic shoulder strap.
There are also some great Victorian flying machine style fairy wings such as these, photographed at the Lincoln Steampunk festival a few years ago…
Steampunk Burlesque Dancers
Steampunk burlesque dancers go all out – and as previously mentioned, you simply can’t be overly dressed. The steampunk burlesque style is characterised by colourful custom wigs, women fishnet tights, choker lace necklaces, high waisted asymmetrical swallow skirts and flower top hats. Here is a fantastic steampunk burlesque dress…
- Please choose our victorian corset dress according to the size chart details on the left of the picture or the product description below, please don't compare with the general clothes' size.
- Steampunk Victorian style corset top with wide and elastic shoulder strap, black lace trim full covered, criss cross lace up design, 4 plastic bones in the front and 4 steel bones at back, which can shape your body perfectly.
- Luxury ruffle high low skirt, full lace mesh trim, multi layer design, create plump and layering of skirt, make your leg looks more slim and tall; Tiny back zipper help you wear easily.
- High quality corset dress, is very excellent for Halloween costume, western costume, steampunk costume, cosplay, stage show, masquerade or other occasions.
- To avoid damaging the corset dress, hand wash only, do not use machine to wash.
Steampunk Superheroes and Characters
Steampunk Alice in Wonderland
Alice in wonderland is one of the most famous cartoons ever to be aired, and it is proudly steampunk. This is a character that has been a strong inspiration in the steampunk universe, and most styles are design to reflect Alice as in the cartoon.
Batman is a very famous and influential character, not just for kids but also for adults. The character has formed a steampunk genre on its own and is widely loved in the steampunk world. Steampunkify the usual Batman costume by going for a brown colour scheme with goggles, cogs and gears!
Amelia Earhart is a classic steampunk heroine that is known for her record-breaking exploits, one as the first female pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic. This character is an extreme example of the steampunk aviation genre.
Sherlock Holmes is a character with several engraved steampunk details. The movie itself is a myriad of steampunk lifestyle display. As a character, Sherlock Holmes and other characters in the movie reflect the outfit style of several steampunk enthusiasts. Don’t forget the pipe and the magnifying glass accessories.
- Package include: Coat + Hat.
- Mens Kids Holmes Detective Costume Coat Halloween Cosplay Victorian Button Down Jacket Outfit Uniform
- Occasions: Perfect for Halloween cosplay, theme party, dress up, stage performance, role play, etc.
- Not US size, please check the size on pictures before order!
- 2-4 days to arrive by expedited shipping way, 10-15 days to arrive by standard shipping way.
Long John Silver
Long John Silver is an opportunistic and cunning pirate. He lived as the quartermaster under the notorious Captain Flint. He is a fictional character that expresses the Victorian maritime fashion sense and is a major inspiration for the steampunk pirate genre.
Lara Croft is a subtle steampunk character. The character is a superhero that inspires a lot of her steampunk fans. A good Lara Croft outfit gives a sort of badass vibe, and a touch of sexy. If you are looking to appear dangerous yet at the same time erotic, this is the steampunk cosplay outfit for you!
The steampunk universe is so full of creativity and fictitious arts you could feel like a superhero yourself just wearing the cosplay. Well, who am I to say, you might be a superhero already. Thanks for taking the time to read, and here’s another blog for you to read about